Before, having a doorbell with a camera was something excessively expensive that was only available to a few. Fortunately, the evolution of technology has made these devices cheaper today. In addition, the value for money brand already has its own smart doorbells that are affordable and very easy to install. Of course, we are referring to Xiaomi who recently launched its third generation of cheap doorbells.
The Xiaomi Smart Doorbell 3 is the new smart doorbell of the Chinese brand that does not exceed €70 and has a 2K camera with 180° vision. In addition, it mounts a rechargeable 5200 mAh battery (you don’t have to change batteries), a speaker to listen to people who call your home, WiFi to connect to your mobile and much more. We have it here with us to tell you if it’s worth it. Find out below.
How is the Xiaomi Smart Doorbell 3 smart doorbell?
- 1 How is the Xiaomi Smart Doorbell 3 smart doorbell?
- 2 Is the Xiaomi Smart Doorbell 3 smart doorbell worth it?
The Xiaomi Smart Doorbell 3 consists of two devices: the smart doorbell that you must place at the door or entrance of your house, and the speaker / receiver that plugs directly into the power. Although the latter is included in the product box, its use is optional as the doorbell can send notifications to your mobile or to your devices in the Xiaomi ecosystem to notify you that there is someone at the door.
The doorbell is wireless, so you don’t have to worry about wiring or anything like that. In fact, it can be installed without screws using 3M double-sided tape. Besides, it is very easy to configure. Take a look at its specifications table and then tell you about its operation.
|Xiaomi Smart Doorbell 3|
Doorbell: 128 x 60 x 23.5mm.
Speaker: 60 x 60 x 56mm.
|Camera||3 MP with 2K resolutionf/2.0, 180° field of view, 6-element lens system, and 940nm infrared night vision.|
|Battery||5200mAh. It charges via USB-C.|
|Autonomy||Up to 5 months.|
|connectivity||2.4GHz Wi-Fi with 433 MHz RF module for a transmission distance of up to 50 meters (between the doorbell and the receiver or your mobile).|
|Cloud storage||72 hours of free videos and images (can be extended by paying).|
|receiver volume||79dB maximum.|
|Functions||Two-way communication in real time.
AI facial recognition.
Sending notifications to the mobile.
Customizable message for when they call you and you are not there.
Remote activation to see who is calling the door from the mobile anywhere.
smart voice changer.
|Compatibility||Android, iOS and Alexa through the app My Home.|
|Work temperature||Operating: 10 – 45°C.
During charging: 0 – 45°C.
|Box contents||The smart doorbell, a receiver speaker, a USB-C charging cable, and the instruction manual.|
The Xiaomi Smart Doorbell 3 smart doorbell is a simple device, but very capable
The body of this Xiaomi Smart Doorbell 3 doorbell is made of black plastic that looks quite resistant, although it does not have water protection. Of course, its elegant design with a glossy finish looks great in any home.
All the details of the Xiaomi Smart Doorbell 3 doorbell
On the front, it has a 3 MP camera capable of recording in 2K, recognizing faces and even detecting movement in a panoramic range of 180°. It also has a doorbell button so visitors can call your home in the traditional way, as well as a speaker and microphone for two-way communication.
On the back, it has the power and reset buttons. Its USB-C charging port is at the bottom. On the other hand, it must be said that its receiver is also black and the truth is that it does not offer many functions. Simply, it allows you to hear the doorbell or the person who is knocking at the door loudly (thanks to the fact that it connects via WiFi with the smart doorbell) at a maximum volume of 79 dB.
To configure and control the Xiaomi Smart Doorbell 3 from your mobile, you must use the Mi Home application. You only have to scan the QR code that the app will show you on your mobile with the doorbell camera. Thus, the WiFi network will be synchronized and you will be able to use your mobile as a control (to change settings and customize functions) or receiver (to see through the camera and talk to the visitor) of this smart doorbell.
How to install and configure the Xiaomi Doorbell 3 with the app
As you will see, it is really very easy both to install and configure. Once you have everything ready, you can already take advantage of its wide variety of functions.
How does the Xiaomi Smart Doorbell 3 smart doorbell work?
When someone is knocking at your door, you will receive a notification on your mobile from which you can see what the doorbell camera is recording and even activate communication to talk to the visitor. Alternatively, if you prefer the traditional method, you can install its receiver or external speaker in your home to listen to the doorbell and talk to the caller. Here is a list of everything you can do with the Xiaomi Smart Doorbell 3:
- View real-time camera recording remotely: You can do it from your mobile or from a device in the Xiaomi ecosystem, such as a Mi TV. And the best thing is that you can watch the recording even when you are away from home.
- Talk to the visitor bidirectionally: it is possible to have a conversation with your visitor through the doorbell.
- Record a default message for when they call you and you are not there: if someone comes to leave a package for you and you are not there, you can record a message so that when they ring the doorbell you let them know to leave it at the reception or at the entrance. This feature can also be useful for scaring away thieves.
- Change your voice so they don’t know it’s you: The timbre can also change your voice to sound lower or higher, like that of a man or a woman. Thus, you will easily fool those who knock on your door. If you often leave your children home alone, this feature will protect them.
- Save the images and videos of the camera for 3 days for free: They are automatically saved in the Xiaomi cloud, so they do not take up space in your storage and you can watch them on any device by streaming. By the way, at the end of the 3 days, the recordings are deleted to make room for the new ones. If it seems like few days of saving, you have to pay for a plan that extends the days of saving in the cloud.
- Detect people in front of your house, even if they haven’t rung the doorbell: It has a motion sensor that you can activate so that the doorbell alerts you who is lurking in the entrance of your home. Very useful in terms of security!
- Take photos of people ringing the doorbell: To do this, it uses AI-powered facial recognition to capture the face without blurring and clearly. This is very important to keep track of your visitors for security reasons.
- Recognize people who visit you automatically: Facial recognition also allows the doorbell to tell you exactly who is calling. Once it detects someone’s face, you can search for it in the system and assign it a name. The next time that person comes, the doorbell will let you know, for example, “Carlos is at the door.”
- run at night: This Xiaomi doorbell continues to work at night, despite poor lighting, thanks to the camera’s night vision mode that makes use of infrared sensors to see in the dark.
And the truth is that each and every one of these features works as expected. The image quality is very good, the transmission does not cut off, the speakers sound loud and clear, facial recognition and movement sensor do not give problems, etc. Of course, the video may be transmitted with some delay to your mobile, but this is to be expected.
The only problem that concerns us in terms of operation is that the camera lens gets dirty easily. If someone accidentally touches it with their fingers thinking it is the doorbell button (it happens more than you would think), it will get stained and you will not be able to see the visitor well.
How long does the Xiaomi Smart Doorbell 3 smart doorbell battery last?
Unlike the previous generation of this doorbell, the Xiaomi Smart Doorbell 3 does not use batteries, but a 5200 mAh rechargeable battery that is charged with a USB-C cable, like mobile phones. How often do you have to recharge it? About twice a year, its maximum autonomy is 5 months (It can be less if you usually receive many people in your house on a daily basis). Once it is downloaded, you put it to charge with a mobile charger for 4 hours and it will be ready to work for 5 more months.
Is the Xiaomi Smart Doorbell 3 smart doorbell worth it?
Despite how complete it is, the Xiaomi Smart Doorbell 3 is not expensive. It costs less than 70 euros. For that price, we definitely recommend it. Apart from being wireless and very easy to install, it has many smart features that will help you control the flow of people coming to your house and improve the security of your house.
It can be your eyes and voice before visitors, is capable of playing pre-recorded messages, changes your voice if you wish, its camera records in very good quality and uses a long-lasting rechargeable battery. All in all, it is worth it, but keep in mind that it is not waterproof, so you must cover it well. Take your Xiaomi Smart Doorbell 3 doorbell with this button: