Very few people know that, in addition to the normal description that Instagram allows you to add to your posts, the platform offers you the option to add an alternative text. Also known as “alt tag”, this alt text was created to accurately describe the photos or videosin such a way that people with visual difficulties can understand the content without problems.
If you use alt text, people with a screen reader on their mobile will hear your post description. Now, if you don’t use the alternative text, don’t worry because Instagram will add it automatically (Taking the description of the post). However, not using alt text is missing out on a valuable opportunity to get more reach on Instagram.
For that reason, we will soon explain how to add alt text to your instagram posts. It is very simple!
Steps to put an alternative text on Instagram
To add alt text to an Instagram post you’re about to create, follow these steps:
- Go to the app of Instagram.
- create a new post and click on the next arrow.
- Apply the filters and edits you want to your post.
- Once you finish putting the finishing touches on your post, press the next arrow and tap on Advanced settings.
- Scroll down and choose the option Write alt text.
- By last, enter the text you want and tap the done button in the top right corner.
- Exit the advanced settings and publish your post.
That’s it! That’s how easy it is to add alt text to a post on Instagram.
How to put an alternative text to an existing post on Instagram?
If your post was already published without alt text, don’t worry. You can also add it by following these steps:
- Find the post to which you want to add the alt text.
- Press the three vertical dots that appear in the upper right corner of the post.
- Choose Edit.
- At the bottom you will get the option to Edit alt text (you may need to slide this option bar to the left for it to show up).
- Write your alt text and press the done button (the one in the upper right corner).
- Save the changes and that’s it.
That way, you can add alt text to all of your existing posts.
What should be written in the alternative text of Instagram?
As we mentioned at the beginning, the possibility of putting an alternative text on Instagram was created to help people with visual problems. Therefore, you should use this option to describe your images or videos in great detail for those people who cannot see them well.
However, if you don’t have visually impaired followers or at least don’t expect your posts to reach visually impaired people, you can use alt text to boost the SEO of your Instagram posts. If you are interested in the alternative text for the latter, then write in this section the keywords related to your content.
By using the correct words in the alternative text, you will achieve that Instagram show your posts to many more people. Of course, do not forget that the Instagram algorithm gives more priority to original content, so make sure that your posts are not from the heap.